Avgolemono is a delicious Greek soup simply made, as the name suggests, with eggs and lemon.
It is a traditional meal in Homer’s country and every Yaya (grandmother) in Greece prepares it for her grandchildren at home.
Here’s the Recipe for the Authentic Avgolemono Soup!
Ingredients for 4 servings:
– 1.5 litres (6 1/3 cups) of chicken broth;
– 1 large onion;
– 4 Tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice;
– 3 free-range or bio eggs;
– 1 cup of orzo (barley) or rice;
– 100 gr (3.5 oz) of boiled chicken (ideally from the same broth);
– salt & pepper;
– extra virgin olive oil.
1. Boil orzo (barley) or rice until just cooked.
2. Chop the onion very finely. Pour a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil in a big pot and sauté the onion until golden.
3. Pour the chicken broth in the pot, stir and bring to a boil.
4. Add the pieces of chicken and the orzo, or the rice, in the soup and further boil for 3 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the emulsion of eggs and lemon.
Whisk the eggs, until they become smooth and creamy. Slowly incorporate all the lemon juice by whisking, to create a bubbly, light yellow emulsion.
6. Taste the soup, salt and pepper accordingly.
7. Temper your egg-lemon emulsion by mixing 1 cup of the hot soup to it. Initially add just a tablespoon of hot soup and then gradually pour the remaining cup, stirring continually.
8. Once your emulsion is warm to the touch, it’s time to take the soup off the fire. Stir the tempered egg-lemon emulsion in the soup and blend thoroughly with a wooden spoon, until it incorporates well.
The mixture will magically thicken and transform into a dense, earthy and utterly scrumptious Avgolemono soup!
9. Serve immediately with a pinch of black pepper and freshly chopped parsley on top.
Enjoy your meal or, as they say in Greece…
Καλή όρεξη (kali orexi)!